Tuesday 7 April 2009

MULTI-TOUCH

In terms of MIDI control and Multi-touch devices, the Lemur was truly king, until people started making their own alternatives - and alternatives that were ultimately a lot more customisable (in terms of it's control abilities and how pretty you want to make it...)

This example shows someone using MAX/MSP as an app that works in exactly the same way as the lemur, with multi-touch abilities, a whole load of functions running at once - now if we all had touch screens (and a copy of MAX) we'd all be taking a big step in terms of music/visuals...

And I would make mine look far more attractive than this screengrab:

2 comments:

manmachine said...

Cool blog, I'll be following it now that I've found it. There are some ebay sellers on ebay (coldfusion) that sell lcd touchscreen kits. Not multitouch, but still a step forward and pretty darn cheap. Agree that the visuals on some of the multitouch are not great. Also problematic is the lack of haptic feedback: this becomes pretty apparent when trying to manipulate softsynths.

Neal Coghlan said...

Cheers, I've not been too good at updating recently, been a bit busy - but I guess this blog kind of sums up my intentions in terms of the kind of design I'm into. I've seen some versions of touch screen, though hadn't tried ebay, thanks for the tip! I spoke to a programmer who came into my work last week though who actually despised the lemur - for various things including latency and lack of tactile response, fair points I suppose. He'd created his own processing based apps that allowed him to dynamically switch his MIDI controller's functions on the fly - almost like an on-screen lemur; and thus allowing him to look at his visuals/ableton on screen and have this app running just below it, detailing exactly what is being sent/received in each MIDI slot and having the tactile response of his Korg controller. I'll try and find his stuff online and post it here actually...