Wednesday 4 March 2009

PLEASE SAY SOMETHING

I've been following the work of David O'Reilly for a while now, and absolutely loving all that he has done. The series 'Please Say Something' started in short episodes a while back but were removed to allow David to enter the project into a film festival, and thus complete the series as one long animation (of 10 minutes rather than 20 or so second stints).
What I love about the story is the way that it unfolds via such simple things - such as the scarf. You get a real sense of character about each...character very quickly through their actions and learn to love them both by the end.
I also love its style. It is honest - as David has mentioned on his site that '[his] goal aesthetically has always been the more broader aim of simply not hiding the artefacts of software, the same way Bacon didn’t hide paint strokes'. I have often found errors in software that have bugged me - most notably in 3D programs where polygons would spike off into infinity - when I first started out using 3D programs all those years ago I hadn't a clue what these were, and now there is an artist who is managing to embrace these errors - though not in a way that destroys the integrity of the animation.

And now for the sake of spreading the love and getting more hits or whatever, here is the embedded video...



I urge you to check out his site and his other stuff, especially RGBXYZ -

HERE.

No comments: